Thursday 18 June 2015

New Concept

The idea struck me a while ago, I am a big fan of the film "How to Train Your Dragon" and those 3D infinite runner games, so I think you know where I'm going with this :)

Started on the project yesterday eve, and managed to make a prototype infinite terrain as well as a vertex shader that makes the curvature in the terrain based on the distance from the camera. Seems to be running ok so far on my phone.

Something that I noticed in a lot of the infinite runner genre is that they use curved terrain instead of the usual distance fog, that way when the forward terrain is spawned it is hidden from the camera but also it gives a more interesting look. Building assets however won't be a pain in the butt if using this shader trick, the models are straight, and thus easier to model and make seamless.
With the Curvature Shader
Without the Curvature Shader
And as I like to mix my work I also worked on some character concepts today to get me started on creating the models:

No comments:

Post a Comment