Saturday 6 June 2015

Esthetics - 1

Looking back at the initial art I've done for the actual game, I realized that I've missed something very essential. While I was having fun playing with cute colors in Photoshop I had not imagined how the ansamble of the game level would look like.
Not a complete disaster ofcourse, but I remembered something that I learned in the past, and that is separation of the game layers. In my case, I have the:
  • Background (containing some 2D sprites with different Z axis positions for paralax)
  • Game Area (where the 3D happens, the character, objects around him etc.)
  • Foreground (or the UI)

To separate them visually I'll play with the colour contrast, keeping the background rather dull with light colours, and adding a lot of colour to the Play Area, where the character interacts with the game. As for the UI / menu, Black and White will stand out even more from the coloured game, while not being an eye soar.

A good start would be the graphics that I made for the level select screen:

No comments:

Post a Comment